Saturday, April 9, 2011

Dressing Up Water Stamping

For this month's technique, I thought I would try Water Stamping. I took one of the blank manila tags and inked with various shades of pink Distress Ink.



The covered tag ended up like this:



I chose a flourish background stamp (This one is from Hero Arts) and inked it with Distress Embossing Ink.



Once I had it inked, I spritzed the stamp with water using a Mini Mister.



I stamped this over the tag and dried it with a heat gun. It was a bit more subtle than I liked. I think that a stamp with bolder lines stamped right away on a much wetter tag would possibly have worked better. It is quite a lovely effect, though.


I used the Sewing Room Alterations die and cut the dress form and spool from chipboard.


I painted the "wood" parts of each die cut with a Pitch Black paint dabber.



Once I saw this die, I knew that I wanted to reach back into my supplies and use some lovely Hanko Washi paper and their quilting technique. I cut the body portion of the form out in foam and glued it onto a second piece of chipboard.  (Don't worry about the spotty looking glue - it will be covered).



Washi Paper



I placed the form, foam side down, onto the wrong side of the Washi paper. I cut around the form, leaving enough of an edge to be folded under the form (similar to fabric applique). I clipped the areas where there were curves. I took the edged and folded them to the back of the form and taped them down.



This is a fun technique, although simpler shapes work best.


I wrapped the thread spool with a snippet of embroidery floss. I went into my stash for some clear buttons from Tim Holtz when he designed products for the now-defunct Junkitz company. You can now get similar buttons from Hero Arts. I glued these buttons down onto more of the Washi paper with Diamond Glaze. I printed out a sentiment to complete the tag...



Dress up your own stamping with a few new (or old) techniques!


No comments:

Post a Comment