Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Touch of Texture

I love adding texture to my paper crafting projects and the Tim Holtz embossing folders from Sizzix make it very easy to do so. For this St. Patrick's Day themed tag, I used the Wood Grain folder. The jumbo sized tag is longer than the folder, so I cut a slit in the top to fit the tag inside and ran it through my Sizzix Big Kick.
Once the tag was embossed, I used my ink blending tool to apply Frayed Burlap and Brushed Corduroy Distress Inks to enhance the wood grain. This is truly one of my favorite embossing folders!

I found a small scrap of textured green paper in stash. To add a bit of gloss to the project, I applied Forest Moss Distress Ink to the paper using a Direct to Paper technique, swooshing the ink onto the paper.
Once I covered the piece of paper to my liking, I applied clear embossing powder over the entire piece and heat embossed it to a glossy finish. The wetness of the Distress Inks work well with this technique.

Since I don't have a shamrock punch or die, I used a heart shaped Sizzix die to cut three leaves and hand cut a stem.
To finish up the tag, I printed out a sentiment and matted it with the rest of my glossy green textured paper.
I mounted it onto the tag with foam tape, glued on my "shamrock" and added a bit o' ribbon. I also inked the edges of the tag with a bit more of the green ink.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome textures and I love the shamrock you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "swooshing" technique :-)

    ReplyDelete