Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ink Blending



After completing the Twelve Tags of Christmas last year, I became quite comfortable using the ink blending tool. I was familiar with using the similar tool for applying alchol inks with the felt pads, but had not used the foam pads for applying Distress Ink. I was adding color to my projects by running the edge of my paper along an ink pad. This was a bit hard to control and also wore out sections on my ink pads. I find that the blending tool is easier to control and adds shading and definition to projects.

To use the tool, you tap the foam pad onto an ink pad. You start with the tool off of your project (it helps to use a non-stick Craft Sheet) and make circular strokes from the sheet onto your project. I used a leftover tag from the Christmas tag challenge.



You can apply as much or as little as you like. I also like to use the blending tool to change the look of patterned papers. You can soften a loud print or make it more interesting by applying inks to it. I had an old piece of Anna Griffin paper in my stash that was looking a little dull. I applied Tattered Rose to the edges and now it looks like something that would make a lovely Valentine.



I also like the way ink can add definition to a project. I had a plain Rosette (yes, we will be getting this Sizzlets die!) made from a print that I did not particularly like.



I inked up the tool with Fired Brick and applied it to the Rosette. I like the new version much better:



To finish up the tag, I added more Fired Brick and Barn Door Distress inks to the edges. I stamped a script stamp over the tag with black ink.



I used the Tim Holtz' Alterations Winged heart die to cut a design.



I added these pieces to the tag along with a popped up Valentine's ticket stamp.  After adding a little more ink to the tag, I ended up with this:




Happy Valentines Day!

Rita


No comments:

Post a Comment